Re: [ihc] researching my next IH vehicle

> the towing duty will be pulling a 1500 lb car trailer with a 2400 lb
> road racing car on it. what do the esteemed members of the digest
> think i should start looking at?

With a 4,000lbs towing requirement, you COULD get away with a Scout II..
though you'd probably be better served with a fullsize platform, or at
least a LWB Terra or Traveler (SII stretch)

BEST would, of course, be a medium duty from the 80s/90s, but that'd fall
under gross overkill. :D

For replacing a 1T Van, you might keep your eyes peeled for a good
condition 70s 3/4T (1200, 1210, 200) Travelall.

Avoid rust over the rear wheel arch, and cowl rust.  Patches exist to fix
floor rust, and hood hinge patches are almost a given.

Beyond that, a 1/2T would do the job, but I'd feel better with a 3/4T.
For towing purposes, you could "upgrade" with some heavier
springs/air-bags and a FF rear end from a Big-3 truck.

The 4x4 models would be the best as far as parts availability - if you
can't find a repair part for the front or rear axle, it's a pretty easy
swap to grab the running gear from a Chevy and bolt it in.  I guarantee
parts will be easy to come by after that. :D

I would avoid a 1010 IFS torsion bar - parts are $$$$.  The 74/75
100/150/200 IFS coil-sprung models would be OK - at least you can easily
convert them to straight axles.  Rotors for the 74/75 3/4T IFS are non
existant, but the 4x4s are available.. at $250 each.

With the mechanical abilities I have (and poor/no body work skills) I'd
watch for a 69-75 1/2T or 3/4T with a good body, and preferably the
motor/trans I want (392/auto?), and 4x4.

69-73 1/2T 4x4 will be drums, 74/75 disc.  I'd probably toss the running
gear from either, and get Chevy K20 running gear from the junkyard, and
swap it in.  Change to a SII disc/drum mastercylinder, some new brake
lines, air-bags (or rear springs robbed from a 69-75 IH 3/4T truck).. and
you're in business.

4-doors.  Rear seat folds down to make room for a double-mattress, or a
4x8 sheet of plywood.  It's roomy, and comfy.  Available A/C, or ~$600
from AMA for an add-on kit.

It's a little smaller than a Suburban, but longer than a short-box pickup,
with a 119" WB.

I tried using a worn out 1/2T T'all to pull my 6000lbs of Scout and
trailer, and it just wasn't a fun experience.

I was going to upgrade to 3/4T gear and springs, but instead I leapfrogged
all of that, and went to a '74 1T long-box crewcab IH.  I have to use my
mirrors just to confirm the trailer is still behind me. :D

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'74 1T Camper Special long-box Travelette
'74 1/2T 4x4 long-box single-cab pickup
'72 1110 4x4 Travelall (392/auto)
'72, '74, '77, '77, '79 Scout IIs
'68 V8 800 (hers)