RE: Help Save Mac's IH Parts! (was Re: [ihc] anti-backfire valve)

## >> ---Oh Mac, oh Mac, oh Mac, oh man. With all the IH people in
## >> CA and on the
## >> list, can't you find someone to pick up all those parts and
## >> hold onto them?
## >> Have you Dad set them in a pile for you and someone to come pick them
## >> up!!!???

actually, a friend not too far from my dad took my 1010, my Chevy C/10, and
my 1987 Nissan Sentra and put them in his backyard for me.  my dad said i
could keep the B122 there for the time being, but...  he wants to sell the
farm, and if he does that, i'll have maybe a month's notice to get the truck
and all my spare parts out of there.  i'm hoping that this next spring
break, maybe i can save enough $$$ from our tax return to go out there, drop
the engine into the B, get it squared away (clutch, new tires, registration,
insurance), and drive it out here.  to hell with the Army's "vehicle
restriction" rules.  maybe i can find a place here on-post to hide it.

most of my parts are actually in the bed of the truck.  the main parts that
aren't there are the ones that would not fit or that i couldn't find during
the last cleaning spree.  that includes the manifold, the exhaust system,
spare fuel tanks, flywheel, about six carburetors, and some other bits and
bobs.  i've had at least one offer from a Digester to let me store the B and
the 1010 at their place for a while till i can get them squared away, and if
i recall, Allan E said i can keep them on his property out in the middle of
the desert if i can find a way to get them there.  maybe along the way i can
find somebody that wants a slightly used T98 from my '65 D1200.  i liked the
T98 from the B better than the one from the D (and it doesn't require
modification of the driveshaft to use in the B), so that's the one i'm
using, and the other one just sits there.  i'll probably never need it or
find a use for it.  those T98s are practically indestructible.

if people want some of the stuff i've got, i'm sure we can come to agreeable
terms about transfer of ownership.  i'm ready to plain out give away the
spare 345 and spare 392 at this point, and either give away or sell cheap
the three transmissions i have.  i can't keep 'em and i'll never use 'em.
i'm not sure i'll ever use that 304, but...  it's the original engine from
the Scout, i want it.  same reason i keep the old BD220 from the B, even
though i know i'll never use it again.  i debated using the 304 instead of
the 345, but...  nah.  the 345 is already compleat and needs *nothing* to
drop in and run.  the 304 needs the oil pan and pump replaced, a new carb
installed, the dizzy re-assembled, who knows what else.  i'll go ahead and
do the 345.  besides, i've never owned a 345 before, so this will be a new
experience for me.

## >> ---I can get a pressure plate rebuilt custom, flywheel faced,
## >> disc relined
## >> and new bearings for $20 + the cost of bearings if needed. They key is
## >> having the pressure plate to rebuild. That costs over $150 to
## >> get from the
## >> counter-monkeys with cores.

i've got the pieces of two pressure plates for sure, a 11" and a 12" i
think.  i had the 10", but i'm pretty sure that's the one my dad threw away.
i *might* still have all three, or it might have been one of the other two
that got tossed.  anyway, i have most of the parts, just...  they're all
damaged in one way or another.  the "fingers" from the 11" got ground off
almost compleatly when the throwout bearing seized.  it was my work truck
and i couldn't afford the down time of replacing the bearing, so i drove it
like that for about 4 months.  finally one of the fingers snapped off, and
that's when i stopped driving it and acquired another truck.  about a month
later, idling in my driveway (i started it and let it idle for about an hour
once a week), is when the con rod snapped and destroyed the block.

## >> ---The 304 heads here from the builder are $80 a piece to
## >> work, and that
## >> price only reflects your having the head to send them. They
## >> do not work on a
## >> head unless they have another in stock... I guess in case one
## >> is damaged.
## >> Now, I can have mine bathed, magnafluxed, milled, ported, polished and
## >> rebuilt for $50 (the cost of the parts and he'll keep the
## >> rest or $20 + the
## >> cost), including the use of the flow-bench, but that is
## >> because I know a
## >> machinist who likes old IHCs.

to be really honest, the 304 heads aren't all that important to me per se.
i no longer have the 304 to put them on.  i just kept 'em 'cause they're
from my first 304, and i'm a packrat about parts.  i still have the original
Holley 2300 from that engine, the oil bath air cleaner, the valve covers,
galley cover, exhaust manifolds, flywheel, bellhousing, oil pan, everything
but the block, crank, pistons, and cam.  when the con rod snapped, it
destroyed enough of the rest of it internally that i just scrapped the whole
block and all internals.  you shoulda seen the damage.  it was bad.

## >> ---BTW, FWIU from the guy who wants $80, there are about 8
## >> different types
## >> of 304 heads. 8 different casting numbers (???)

i don't have access to my heads, otherwise i'd ask which ones are which and
how to tell.  what ARE the differences between the heads, anyway?

## >> ---As for inconsiderate... nah, I would think maybe you had
## >> too much time to
## >> know how to spend it... I did.

well yes.  i *did* have way too much free time.  sometimes.  enough so that
i should have moved that engine many years ago.  it sat for about a year and
a half right in the doorway to the shop off to the right a little bit, which
is where i dropped it when i took it out.  my dad and i finally moved it
from there to the side where it is now in 1992, i think.  then, silly me, i
put a compleat running oldsmobile 455 with matched TH400 where the BD220
was, and that's still right there today.  i'm tellin' ya, i was an
inconsiderate kid.  i've left compleat engines, transmissions, i've given
that 455 and TH400 combo away three times now, and each time the person has
failed to come pick it up.  recently gave it to the guy who is storing the
1010 et al, we'll see if he comes and gets it this time.

before we moved out here, i bought four more SV engines, one of which is a
100% compleat and running 345.  that 345 is for the B122, it's ready to drop
in, just need the clutch parts, which is why it didn't get done before we
came out here, i didn't have time to get the parts and then do the work.
all four engines are still stored at the house of the guy i bought them
from, which is the guy we bought the Scout 800A from.  hopefully he's still
got them for me.  i'd like to find homes for two of the engines...  a mostly
compleat 345 and a partially disassembled 392IC (the fourth engine is a 304
missing only the top portion of the distributor, but it's the original
engine from the 800A and i'm keeping it).  i also have a Scout II 4-speed (i
don't know if it's a T18 or T19), and a Scout 727, all part of the bulk
purchase deal.  with a whole bunch of smaller parts included.  there's a lot
of junk there.  at this time, all i'm really concerned with is getting that
345 into the B122 and putting that truck back on the road.  she needs a LOT
of work to really shine again, but she's still structurally compleat, sound,
and very solid.  my favouritiest truck in the whole wide world, for now and
for always.

anyway, signing off from Bliss

--Mac

Wassail!