Re: [ihc] Re: Smokeing Question

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 12:37  PM, Skip Duplissey wrote:

Yikes!  Now I'm sufficiently freaked out!

I have noticed small puddles of water beneath the exhaust outlets when
first start-up and let warm-up.  I chalked it up to condensation.
Could
this be related?  The smoking I notice occurs after the motor is
warmed up.
Certainly, the drips from the exhaust could be condensation.
The gas is the same grade from the same station as is in my car and my
wife's (I always use the same in everything, unless traveling)...  No
changes there.  Do any of the fuel conditioners from the parts store
work?
I may add a bottle...
Heet or one of the other gas driers (Anhydrous Methanol) could help if
you have water in the tank.
I opened the radiator cap and the coolant is sitting about 1/2" from
the top
of the radiator.  Don't know if that tells me anything or not.
Watch the level.
I don't see any water or bubbles on the dipstick.  I'm changing my oil
tonight and will keep an eye for water.
Water such as Im talking about leaking around the head gasket usually
(in my experience) doesnt go into the oil. It typically leaks only
when the engine is running and is sent out the back as steam.

A more important test might be to watch in the radiator opening while
somebody revs up the engine. Watch for bubbles. If you have bubbles,
its from the compression leaking into the water system.
I'm going wheeling/camping this weekend, so as usual, I'll have
something to
worry about.  :)
I wouldnt be concerned that I was going to have any short term
problems. Might want to take along a can or two of Alumaseal. Careful
how you carry it though, the damn tops come off.

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs