Re: [ihc] Mixed Bag: Front Ends, Close Encounters and "Who Is It?"!!

On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 06:38  AM, Mac @ TRIAD wrote:

## >> I've always heard, up until this point, that a steering
## >> stabilizer at best
## >> is not really neccessary and at worst is simply an attempt to
## >> cover up an
## >> underlying problem.  Some people do say they help handling,
## >> but for what
## >> it's worth I am staunchly against installing one to "fix"
## >> something.  If
## >> there is something to be "fixed" then it implies that
## >> something is "broken"
## >> and since there was never a steering stabilizer, adding more
## >> parts won't fix
## >> whatever it is that is having the problem.

the stabilizer isn't "neccessary"...  it's just useful.  i don't
advocate
installing one just to fix whatever else might be wrong, but
installing one
at all, especially in a vehicle with larger than normal tires, is a
good
thing.  additionally, should a problem arise, it might just minimize
the
trouble enough to make getting home, or to a repair shop, or even
around on
normal errands till you can afford to get it repaired, possible.

--Mac
I made somewhat of a joke about the steering stabilizer that I have on
my Terra because Im not sure that it is of any help at all.

I do know absolutely that the steering stabilizer is an important part
of the front end machinery on both Cherokees and Grand Cherokees.

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs