[ihc] Pete's Shocking Ending <For Now!> & Southwest Scouts Meeting...

Reapers,

Today's Scout activities: Replaced rear driver side upper shock mount. Used
a piece of scrap iron. Maybe 1.5" x 1.5" x 2" or so.

In the past: "BAD WELDER GUY" shop was in utter chaos and charged me for the
time he spent looking for the parts pieces he needed to do his job (the MIG
wire, the helmet, the hat, the gloves, etc; were all separate scavenger
hunts. And charged me for the time wasted bs-ing with me about the job, life
in general, etc. So much for "the biggest ad in the local yellow pages"!!

"PRO WELDER GUY":  He loved the Scout, he's a bit of a Snap-On freak (incl.
his _several_ MIG, TIG & plasma welders! But had some Matco & Milelr stuff
too), so we had a lot in common, know some other folks in common, etc. Good
deal! Something just short of amazing I hadn't met this fellow years ago,
really. Shop was realistically neat as could be. Floor was immaculate when I
arrived, cords wound, hoses sorted in accessible manner, and so on.  Perhaps
not as neat as a NASCAR team shop, but not too shabby in its own right.
Let's just say he didn't spend over 15 seconds looking for any given item.
A very productive day. So now, I have a new welder buddy now!

I SWEAR Dan Nees sent me a note - which seems to have vanished - which said
to use quality hardware (grade 8 is grade 8, unless its counterfeit, I
presume!) and torque to 60'/# or so.  Did that. As always, thanks for the
coaching, Dan!

Bottom line & summary: The upper shock mount has been repaired. Worked like
a champ. Total time invested - about 2 hours - mainly rummaging through
friends metal scrap yard (recycling place) looking for appropriate angle
iron & running chop saw & drill press once I found it, approx. 30 minutes
waiting for welder to ply his art. Total cost: $18 (100% for the welder to
do his thing). He was a CRAFTSMAN and a TRUE PROFESSIONAL! Best money I ever
spent on any repair for that truck so far! I'll confess, as above, I've been
to INFERIOR welders that have charged me about 3x more $ for a much less
critical job.

Parting question: Any OK, TX, KS (or other!) Digesters going to the
Southwest Scouts meeting in OKC on 10/18?  Drop me a note off Digest if you
don't already have details. Reply to: binder AT pferris DOT com  Drop me a
note if you are a member of Southwest Scouts.

Happy Trails,

--Pete

     .===============.
   ||( )| | | | | |( )||	Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |	'77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\]	More 'stock' than 'not'!
http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\]	(Postnuke site coming soooon!)