Re: [ihc] Running ethanol

Rocky,

I wouldn't recommend running pure Ethanol or Methanol.  I used to build
circle track, marine, and drag engine that ran pure methanol.  In those
applications, we planned on nearly DOUBLING the capacity of the entire fuel
system.  That means hose sizes, pump capacity, jetting, etc.

Around here, nearly all the premium fuel is 10% ethanol.  You can run up to
about a 15-20% mix of ethanol in gasoline with good results.  In fact,
better than good results.  It will allow you to advance your timing and also
take care of any water that might be in your fuel.  You do need to make sure
that your hoses, if original, can withstand the ethanol as many of the old
ones will not hold up.

The 50 cents a gallon sounds good until you realize that it's going to take
nearly twice as much of it as gasoline.  It is also a real BEAR to start
when cold.  We used to prime the injectors with gasoline to get the engines
to fire in the summer.  Winter would be worse.  (Ever see the pictures of
the guys with the little oil/squirt can of gasoline giving each injector a
shot before starting?  That's what they're doing.)

If gas is about $1.50/gal there, and you can substitute 2 gallons out of 20
with ethanol, then that helps your costs somewhat with almost no changes in
your setup.  Cost would be about $30 for a tank of gasoline, or $28 for a
tank of 20% mix which brings your fuel cost down by 10 cents a gallon for
the tank with a higher octane rating and a little detonation insurance.
That's not a bad deal, if you look at it that way.

John Stricker