Re: [ihc] Running ethanol

> Subject: Re: [ihc] Running ethanol

Another problem with alcohols is that they have water in them.  Because
of this, corrosion of the fuel system is a problem.  My roommate, who
works at a company that builds race engines, says that their customers
always have to purge the system at the end of the day at the track so the
system does not get all fouled up with corrosion over the course of the
year, and even then they still show the effects.  No matter how refined
grain or wood alcohol is, there is always some water in it.  I understand
there is only one way to make dry alcohol, and it does not involve
distilling but some chemical reaction between formaldehyde and some other
chemical (I want to say hydrochloric acid?).  Needless to say, that type
of alcohol is not what is being used at the pump.  The fuel alcohols that
are out there are being touted as renewable fuels, since they come from
grains or other plant matter.  I was in Iowa about 2 years ago, and there
was a plant being built near where I was that would use the corn grown by
local farmers to produce electricity.  This was good for the farmers, as
they could hardly give their product away due to low market prices.  Now
they have a ready market for their product.  I do not know if they were
making alcohol or if they were burning it, but I like the idea of keeping
the local guy working.   -Colin

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!