Re: [ihc] 1 ton stuff, and Rockys trim

At 7:46 PM 10/5/03, John Fleck wrote:
>Rocky, Greg,
>
>I have a 1974 200 camper special that is 2x2 and it has the steel pin
>greasable bushings for the rear shackles. I was able to source new ones
>when i added my new springs. I had springs made that were 2" over stock
>height and added 800 more pounds capacity to them. I just had new coils
>wound with a 10 percent increase in load capacity as well as 2" higher
>heith. So my 2 wheel drive should have a nice stance.
>
>Rocky if you want a RA-15 rear to match the Dana 70 front your ONLY option
>is the 4.88 as the other was 4.30 offered in the D-seried P/U's. IE no Dana
>70s came with 4.30 gears that i am aware of.

John--

It's not terribly relevant, but there are 37 : 6 (6.17) gearsets out there
for both the RA-15 AND the Dana 70.

I have a batch of vehicles that are going to need 70F's sooner or later.
Offered Rocky a trade quite a while back, grown tired of looking for an
_IH_ 70 rear lately. Got a couple of OTHER 70 rears, want one, complete
with the correct springs, from an _IH_ .

Nobody around in yards is stupid enough to scrap a 70F, at least not that
I've seen. Most of them have already disappeared long since--because there
was an outfit in Salt Lake that was doing open knuckle conversions and
putting them under HD Fords up until the Ford factory started doing F-450
and F-550 4x4's.

The guys who were doing that had a guy who was paid, almost full time, to
travel all over at LEAST the western 1/2 of the US looking for them in
yards--and they paid up to $1K each for them.

Greg