[ihc] Carb Issue on 1975 Scout II

I have been off of here for a while, but have been POOR and unable to tinker
much with my Scout.  SO-to get over this period, I sold my MUCH-beloved '61
Scout on a '68 frame and gear (incl V8), and paid some bills, then used the
left-overs to buy a '75 right hand drive, 2-wheel drive, Scout II XLC.  It is
a little rough-looking, but not too bad.

It had been sitting for some time when I bought it, and the prior owners never
really drove it after buying it as a lien sale from a tow yard-thus, very
little history is known of it.  However, I was able to fire it and move it a
LITTLE under its own power.  The problem is thus:  It will hold its idle when
it first starts, but after it warms enough to begin to open the choke valve,
it always dies.  Any ideas why this is?  As stated, this problem could come
from somewhere else, but it does always display this set of symptoms, which
seems curious to me.  I have got it to hold idle longer by UNscrewing the idle
circuit screws about 1/2 turn, but even then, as soon as I shift into gear,
and it is thus, under load, it dies.  SO-do we think this is carb related, or
something else?  It seems to keep enough fuel going through the see-through
filter all the time, but was thinking that when the chole opens, more air,
needs more fuel, and a weak fuel pump is not keeping up?  Or maybe somewhere
COMPLETELY unrelated.

What do any of you smart and knowledgeable folk think?

Thanks!

FYI-this is Michael Shaw, formerly DocMikeII@domain.elided, formerly of
Alameda, CA (Bay Area).  NJow a new server, FINALLY DSL, and living right now
in GA.

Thanks!

Michael