[ihc] AMC overheating

I belong to a performance AMC club, and of our members' vehicles, any AMC
or Jeep vehicles with the V8 motor that had cooling issues, past or
present, had them not because the cooling system was at fault, but
because cylinder pressure was bleeding past the head gasket, causing
undue pressure in the system, and overheating.  This is typical of either
high compression ratios or poor machining of deck surfaces.  Knowing AMCs
quality control, I would warrant it was a result of bad machining.  Even
if they were rebuilt motors, I still would say it is bad machining, as I
have seen many machining operations done that were not spot on, and were
not caught by the owner or the machinist.  On high-comp AMC V8 motors,
not even O-rings work, and the racers know to put in extra head bolts on
the exhaust port side of the AMC head to keep the head clamped down.
This was a trick that was first done in the late 1960s, and is still used
often enough that Indy Cylinder Head made the provisions for them on
their aluminum AMC heads, and even put the additional head bolts threads
on their new aluminum blocks.        -Colin Rush

Subject: Re: [ihc] Don't hate me because I am Beautiful

on 9/11/03 2:28 PM, Marcus Bechtel at SHODUDE@domain.elided wrote:

> Most overheating problems are due to a VERY poor cooling system design.
> Every Cherokee I have every come into contact with has had cooling
system
> issues. Not just the radiator.  Something to do with it being a sealed
> system and the burp point being too low in the system.
>
> Marcus

FWIW, we owned 3 Cherokees, pulled a relatively large trailer with each
of
them, and never ever had a heating problem even in the Death Valley area.

Just didn't ever happen, have no idea why it happened to Marcus.

Might mention that all of our Cherokees had the heavy duty towing
package.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!