Re: [ihc] AMC overheating

on 9/15/03 10:06 AM, Colin M Rush at salmineo@domain.elided wrote:

> Knowing AMCs
> quality control,

Funny timing. I'm reading "Behind the Wheel at Chrysler", a hardback book I
bought at the Springfield Library for $.50. It was virtually untouched which
might tell you about how it ranked in popular reading circles in
Springfield.

Anyway, the author is talking about Chrysler trying to acquire AMC from
Renault.

Chrysler, "All we really want is the Jeep name."

The French, "You don't get the name without taking the whole automotive
section and some of the other stuff that doesn't make money either."

Chrysler, "But all we want is the name!"

The French, "Understand this Lee, no all the other crap, no Jeep name, and
you have to keep the Kenosha plant open for 5 years!"

Lee, "This deal gets worse and worse. I'll take it"

Actually, that 4L inline 6 that Renault had reserected from AMC's past
worked out pretty well for Chrysler, but it was indeed the name that ended
up making them a lot of money.

As you can already tell, opinions vary in regard to feelings about the
inline 6, but I believe it turned out to be one of the great engines of our
time. I loved its torque at low rpms, and the fuel injection was just what
it needed. Suffice to say, I have never rebuilt one of them in that
configuration, but when its ancestor was in the Ramblers, that's a different
story.

I have a lot of friends of the opposite persuasion in regard to their choice
of a 4WD, but I've not heard a single complaint about the 4L in their
Wranglers, except that a couple of them wish for the V8 that's in the GC and
Durango. No mechanical problems amongst my associates, make that,  not with
the engine.

FWIW   John Hofstetter