ref: [ihc] Final Results

Having once owned a F%&#d 66 passenger school bus that conveyed all our earthly possessions from Iowa to Arizona about 15 years ago Id say that fuel mileage is limited by the frontal area of the vehicle and winds. The 360 cid in it wasn't over power for the bus but we climbed a lot of hills with it after the move and the mileage didn't change much loaded or not loaded, hills or flat. Air resistance is the major enemy of larger trucks. Back then I'd made the same move in my 1965 , forget the nomenclature IH, 304 stand up milk truck converted to tool hauler. I didn't know the gearing but it was LOW - about 60 was topped out - It did have 9:00 x 20 tires replacing the 7:50 X 20 on the outside rims or it would have never made 60 mph. Looked a little strange to see the inside tires about 3" above the ground. It got almost 12 mph on the drive but I was running about 50 most of the time. It weighed in at 12000 loaded and was a LONG trip.
rambling Roger