Re: [ihc] NOS Bolts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Wagner" <lwagner@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 18:23
Subject: [ihc] NOS Bolts

> Guys
> One of the guys at work meet a fellow that had a pallet of bolts.  He had
> bought then from a guy that had bought a truck load of stuff from
Harvester.
> He had been told that these bolts where suspension bolts for Scouts. So, I
bit
> and bought a box.
>
> So, what I got was a 54lb box of 1000 bolts, manufactured by Maclean-Fogg,
> Mundelein, IL
> The bolts where 3/8-16x1 flange head Whizlock screws, with MF stamped on
the
> head
>
> On the box, the "ship to" was
> International Harvester Co.
> Body Assembly Plant
> 6175 Urbana Rd
> Springfield, Ohio
> 539741
> 12/3/69
> 323.90-C1                    (I think this should be 323.891-C1)
>
> Suspension bolts, I don't think so, the parts book show the Scout using
them
> for Door Hinges, Tailgate Hinge mounting, and Roll bar mounting.
> And if they were shipped to Springfield in 69, why didn't they get used
up?
> And how did they get to Fort Wayne ( I think the truckload was bought in
Fort
> Wayne)?
> Also, IH must of changed vendors, since bolts from my 78 Scout have NL
stamped
> on the head.
>
> So, What do I do with a 1000 bolts ( can't use more that dozen on my
Scout)?

<snip>

I'd say you could probobly find more than a dozen places to use them on your
scout.  I already can think of over a dozen places they are used just off
hand.

There are a LOT of parts that mount with those bolts.

They hold on your tailgate hinges, they hold on your doors, they hold on
your pedal assemblies.  IIRC they might even be used on the steering
collumn.  Granted the uses I can immediately think of are closer to a dozen
then 1000, there are still more uses for those bolts than shackle bolts.

Lets see....
Doors: 3 top hinge body side, 3 bottom hinge body side, 3 top hinge inside
door, 3 bottom hinge inside door.  Thats 12 per door.  Also add in 2 for the
window regulator/wing vent stuff (I am sure there are more, but I know there
are at least two).  So 14 per door.

Doors: 28

Tailgate:  Two per hinge per side....  4

Pedal assemblies:  IIRC there are three or four for the brake pedal on an
auto scout (don't know how many used on the manual assembly).  Don't
remember if the accel. pedal uses them or not, but I want to say it does.

So we have at least 35 bolts in your scout and I wouldn't be surprised if
there were other bits and pieces using them either.

IIRC, they are a 9/16" head...

I wouldn't be too put out, they are good bolts to have on hand.

-Ryan

---