[ihc] An observation on International Trucks in today's market

A trucking magazine did an article on the 2004 medium duty truck engines,
which must meet new emissions regs on1/1/04 so there are a lot of changes
coming.  I found interesting this part of the article that concerned the
cost to the final purchaser.

"Caterpillar has given its prices to the truck makers, but John Campbell,
director of of-highway engine products, agreed that the final price is up
to the OEM's

'Competition plays a significant role in pricing.  The OEMs could play
off each other.  Where OEMs will do this in the mid-range market is to
target International.  Everybody will wait for International to signal
what their price will be and price accordingly', he said"

I guess there are some privileges when you hold 45% of the Class 6 and 7
markets, even if Freightliner has bought a large lead in the Class 8
truck market.

Howard