Re: Weird steering

Dave,

My 79 Scout: I had my daughter turn the steering wheel while the engine was running with the tires on the ground and
I was underneath inspecting all the parts.

In this case one or two of the the bolts holding the steering box to the frame were stretched about an eighth or three
sixteenths of an inch.

I could not see the stretched bolts before the steering test because of all the dirt and grime under there.

New bolts helped, but the inside bore of the box turned out to have a deep gouge where the teflon piston seals
contacted the box internally. I know because I took the box apart myself. I think the gouge occured because the box
was being torqued and twisted, due to only one or two of the three bolts being firm, the others loose.

Since then I've been through 2 "rebuilt" AutoBone "lifetime warranty" boxes, they are/were just as bad as my original
worn out box.

My next step is to have a box hard chromed and honed to fit the piston, then professionally rebuilt.

If you can't get a helper, you might try a long 4 foot prybar to see if the box is tight to the frame, and that the frame is
not cracked.

- Jim in Mesa