Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:04:36 -0600
From: me <ewalter@domain.elided>
Subject: Moving to CA

We are planning to move to California in about 5 months.  I have a 73
Scout, which has had the engine replaced with a newer one (by a couple
of years I believe.)  Does California check to see if the engine is
correct, because as a 30 year old vehicle it shouldn't have to go
through emissions (unless, like when I called they said if it has a
newer engine it has to pass - but do they check to know if the engine is
newer?).

Also, does California do any type of safety inspection, one time or
annually?

And, if anyone has kids, do you have to use a booster seat for children
over age four if you do not have shoulder belts?  (Booster seats usually
come with a 5 point harness, but that is only usable until the child is
40 lbs.  After that a shoulder/lap belt is supposed to be used with the
booster seat.)  I have found info for harnesses that can be used in
school buses and would work in the back seat of the Scout, but I hate to
spend the money if I don't need to.

Thanks,

Cheryl