Cheryl's a-comin' to Kaliforny!

At 12:52 AM 8/7/03 +0000, you wrote:
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:04:36 -0600
From: me <ewalter@domain.elided>
Subject: Moving to CA

We are planning to move to California in about 5 months.  I have a 73
Scout, which has had the engine replaced with a newer one (by a couple
of years I believe.)  Does California check to see if the engine is
correct, because as a 30 year old vehicle it shouldn't have to go
through emissions (unless, like when I called they said if it has a
newer engine it has to pass - but do they check to know if the engine is
newer?).
As you've been advised, there should be no biennial smog check on your truck. Once upon a time, they were requiring smog checks for out of state vehicles that were originally equipped with emissions controls of any sort(basically '67-up). This may have changed, if the DMV is telling you 'no smog check', that's good news.

DMV or the BAR(which administers Smog Check) have absolutely no way of knowing what engine your truck originally came with, much less if it's been replaced. The only place the engine serial # *may* be found in any production record is a note on the line setting ticket, and I've seen plenty of LST's without it. BAR does not have any info in their database that will ID a 'required' engine when the smog tech enters the Scouts VIN into the smog machine. Their database doesn't even include whether the carb is 2bbl or 4bbl AFAICT, 'cause my brother in-law's '74 passed smog with flying colors last year, and it has an engine out of a '79 with a 4bbl carb(not available in '74). This was in one of the stricter 'non-compliance' areas of the state. IME, the most important thinga for CA smog are that the emissions equipment/vacuum routing sticker(on the cowl cover in a SII) is present, the devices shown are present and hooked up according to the diagram, the EGR is functional, the engine size shown on the sticker matches what's in the truck(not always checked), and it passes at the tailpipe. More that you wanted to know, I'm sure ;)

Also, does California do any type of safety inspection, one time or
annually?
Nope. Despite frequent allegations(some well founded) that the place is run by crazed regulators with delusions of grandeur, they actually trust us to keep our vehicle road-worthy without an annual visit to Big Brother. Not that that's always a great idea, mind you....

And, if anyone has kids, do you have to use a booster seat for children
over age four if you do not have shoulder belts?  (Booster seats usually
come with a 5 point harness, but that is only usable until the child is
40 lbs.  After that a shoulder/lap belt is supposed to be used with the
booster seat.)  I have found info for harnesses that can be used in
school buses and would work in the back seat of the Scout, but I hate to
spend the money if I don't need to.
Kids have to be in a seat. I'm on the the fence with this right now, 'cause Kate is hovering at 40lbs and none of my stuff has shoulder belts. I also don't like what I perceive as a reduction in security going to a single shoulder belt on a booster vs. the 3 point harness on the regular seat. I need to do some more research soon. Apparently there is a full harness seat by Britax that's good for the older kids, but it's over $200. I need to see one. If it's what I'm told, I would rather pop 2+ Benjamins on her safety than rig shoulder belts she might slip out of when push comes to shove. Mass is on our side, I cannot imagine an impact from anything less than a semi that would intrude into the middle of the back seat on a 5000# vehicle with a full frame. Might remodel my face, but I'm none too pretty to start :)

Thanks,

Cheryl
Welcome to CA, we're about to have our 2nd actor as governer. Go Arnie! Dump Davis! Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Jim