Dave's weird steering:

Dave,
In order of appearance, my votes are the following:

1) Normal.  The pump is pumping and the engine is quiet enough for you to
hear it.  Unless it doesn't turn or groans loudly, it's working...

>There is a hissing sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds or at a
>full stop (e.g. 3-point turn).  I'm guessing that would be a pump issue,
>if it's a problem at all?

2) Loose belt.  If the vibration is on the order of a couple/few times per
second then it's a loose belt and the pulley may be slipping but not
squealing.  As for why turning only right, I can't explain that.

>When turning the wheel right there's a funky kind of vibration.  Only
>happens when turning right, and only intermittently.  I don't think it
>has ever happened when turning left.  Definitely not since putting the
>cotter pins in the tie rod and drag link connecting nuts.

3) If you put the steering box in the inside of the frame on the right
side, did you use the stock drag link?  If so, then it's about 3" too long
(or the width of the frame rail or thereabouts).  This would explain the
initial misalignment.  The continuing/continual/alternating problem is a
sign of something loose.  Spline on the input to the PS box is common,
there are two different sizes (mine did this too), I made a shim for mine
(brass, and not standard practice), get a rag joint that fits and put that
one in, if that's the issue.  Otherwise it could be loose ball joints,
U-bolts, wheel bearings, box mounting, frame flex/crush (was the passenger
slide sleeved internally before mounting the box?, the driver's side of the
frame is sleeved from the factory).  It could also be the drag link bending
and straightening (doubtful, but possible), or a loose steering wheel (easy
to check, but hard to repair if the steering shaft splines inside are
wasted).

>After my alignment, straight ahead on the wheel was slightly left of
>center.  A few days later it was right of center.  Then it was center,
>now it's going slightly left of center.  Any ideas?

You're welcome, just food for thought...
JoelB