Tom's bouncing compression

Tom,
      I vote for a cracked ring with the floating piece still in the ring
groove.  Just enough to lose a bit of vacuum when the piston moves, but not
enough to make the compression gauge move.  Put a lower limit gauge on
there, and I imagine that you'll see a few pounds (at least to match your
15 inches drop in vacuum).  The pressure gauge should be a non-holding type
with a limit closer to about 20 psi (I guess...)

Pull the piston assy/con-rod (since the head is off and the pan is next).
Let us know...  Too bad it's not already 4wd, then you could pull the pan
without having the motor out, but you had to drive home anyway so the swap
was necessary.  Yeah, the pans on my 74/75 drop right off.

JoelB