Re: Alignment question

"T.R.E. Jr." wrote:

> ---Just for the sake of asking, is your steering wheel installed correctly?
> There is a mark on the shaft and a mark on the steering wheel that should be
> aligned. After that, you go where you have gone already. Once you get the
> toe correct, the steering wheel should* be correct also. A lot of places
> these days, don't even look at the steering wheel. My cousin had a $700.oo
> alignment done on her Skylark and when she brought it home the steering
> wheel was 1/4 turn off center!

It was straight before the tie rod fell off.  Which is why I really, really
think the new left tie rod end is the problem.

> ---If your suspension is lifted, the toe and camber will be off due to the
> caster being changed and not corrected... if* caster was not corrected and
> if* you have a lift kit installed. Just thought I would add that for the
> heck of it.
>
> ---I agree, take it to a Ma and Pop shop. Local run-of-the-mill shop with a
> 60+ year old man running the joint, but regardless of whether it is a Scout,
> Ford, Chitvy, Dodge, a tie rod is a tie rod and if they don't know how to
> align a simple vehicle, let them continue to work on strutted vehicles and
> you pack your stuff and head back to the "little man".

None of those around here.  This town was built in the 70's (literally -- it was
a huge lumber plantation before that) and many local businesses in the
surrounding communities have been slowly wiped out by the new businesses opening
in town here.

> ---You might have to pay fines and fees for the Scout's time served in the
> Mineke Prison, but you will both be happier for the early release.

I'm trying to do much of the work myself, but steering is too important for a
"bozo" like myself to be trusted.  My tie rod fell out once already, I don't
want to go for the duece.  I'll just double-check whoever works on it from now
on.  That should prevent future mishaps, I hope...