Re: rubber vs urethane bushings

---For one, the poly bushings are harder and less flexible. You will have a
more stiff ride with the poly than the OEM rubber. They also are not damaged
by petroleum products like rubber. Rubber dry-rots after 5 years. The
bushings on your wife's Scout may have been there for 20+ years, but how
long were they in perfect operation?

---Start lubricating the old bushings now. Spray them with PB Blaster or
something else (I am not a fan of WD) about once or twice a week. The outer
sleeves have to be removed from the springs, shackles and the frame rails to
install the new poly bushings. If you have access to air, your job will be
easier, but others here on the Digest have built a press using a pipe larger
than the OD of the bushing outer sleeve, and assortment of washers, a nut
and a bolt.

---You must be extremely careful not to damage the inside surface of the
springs, shackles and frame rails, grease the bushings using silicon grease
or lithium (I used Mobile 1).

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)