Re: Tire hole sealant/self sealing tire goo stuff question...

T.R.E.Jr.,
When you mentioned the dry balancing media for tires, it made me
remember an experienece I had, while working at a tire store back in
1989.
A lady had come in and told us that she wanted a new set of bias-ply
tires and that she wanted us to add a handful of flour inside each one
before mounting on the rims.
She said that she heard it would give the smoothest ride ever.
We thought she was crazy, because she wanted bias-ply tires for her mid-
80's full-size van.
Then she mentioned the flour.
But, hey, the customer is always right, plus she brought the flour.
It was plain, old Gold Medal Enriched Flour.
So we did what we were told.
It's difficult to make sure that the tire bead is lubricated without
getting any water inside the tire.
If the flour gets wet, well, you guys know what'll happen to the flour.
We got the tires on and put them on the electronic spin balancer and 3
of them were right on (+/- .25 oz.), but one was off close to 1 oz.
We convinced her to let us add a weight to that tire and she drove off
happy.
The sand/powder balancing media probably exists and may be viable.
I've seen ball bearings confined within a tubular ring that is sold for
use on semi-trucks, that attaches like a hubcap.
I would caution that anyone using a liquid tire sealant be careful if
you live in a climate were the truck is exposed to extreme low
temperatures.
The liquid may collect in the bottom of the tire and set up from the
cold and that would give you a nasty out-of-balance condition.
One more boring note: I have a step-brother who claimed to put molasses
in the tires of his C-Series IH 4x4, that should be taken with a grain
of salt.
Jay W. George