Re: Ryan's 4" lift

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 14:37
Subject: Ryan's 4" lift

> Ryan,
>       Are you running longer shackles?  With a 4" lift you SHOULD run
> longer shackles so that you don't rip the spring mounts from the frame.
> The is precisely why most of the rips that I've seen, have occurred.  The
> spring tries to flatten and then the shackles can't take the extra length.
> *rip*.
>       If you have stock shackles, then bump steer usually  isn't an issue.
> I have big shackles and big springs and thus the truck is about 6" lifted.
> Thus -bumpsteer.  I remember you saying you didn't have a problem with it
> before, but it seems to be the combination of springs AND shackles that
> make it happen, if both are 4".  With one or the other of springs OR

I have stock length shackles, but no problems without having enough shackle
articulating....

> shackles, bump steer is almost unnoticeable.  I know people with each of
> these configurations, as I also know people with the 2.5" lift and stock
> and lifted shackles, and they seem to have no problems with bump steer.

Key word "problems with bump steer"

> So my take is that if you have both: 4" longer shackles (2" lift) and 4"
> springs, you get bump steer, plain and simple.  Almost any truck has it,

Why 4" longer shackles?  Even if you did need longer shackles for the
springs, you *might* need another inch.  4" longer is a lot, and I flat out
refuse to use shackles that long anyways because they tend to lean side to
side and cause a lot of handling issues.

> it's just a question of how noticeable it is.  Try letting go of the
> steering wheel while traversing a speed bump.  Does the wheel move?  If
> yes, then you have bump steer, whether you choose to admit it or not.  You
> wouldn't let go of the wheel over the speed bump?  Why not?  If you don't

First, I didn't say I didn't have *any* bump steer, just that it wasn't a
problem.   How fast do you want me to go over that speed bump?

I might have *some* but it's not an issue at all.  Might as well not have
any, no problems with the speed bumps, no reason to not let go of the wheel
over the speed bump other than the whole thing about having the hands on the
wheel because I'm *driving.*  If it'll make you really happy I'll do it
today and tell you exactly how bad it is.

> have bump steer, then it should go straight and true with no issue.
>
> JoelB

Lets just put it this way, going down the road normally, you can flat out
let go of the steering wheel and it'll track straight and true, with just a
slight pull to the right (I think that's from the crown in the road).  Bumps
aren't a big deal.

Another factor.  Bigger tires can make you wander pretty good too, I'm
running 31x10.50s.

> >>I've also found that I don't really have much in the way of problems
with
> >>bumpsteer in my scout with 4" triangles, but that's just me too.

I said I don't have much in the way of "problems wiht bumpsteer."  Sure, I
have *some*, but it's hardly worth mentioning.  I am perfectly happy with
how my scout drives right now.  The only other modification I can see myself
doing for handling would possibly be a rag joint eliminator, because I don't
like the play induced with the "new" rag joints the parts stores have.

-Ryan