Re: Multiple doors....I'd like a couple more

At 9:09 PM -0400 7/11/03, ROCKY LEAR wrote:
I've taken an interest in IH's with a "beyond crewcab" number of doors. I regret now that I didn't save pics of the diesel 6 door t-all from ebay a few months back. Someone on oldihc.org had said there were a few airport limo type trucks made up too. If anyone has any pictures or literature of such vehicles, please let me know.
Rocky
Rocky,
Sorry to take so long to get back to you, I'm still in the midst of moving my household single-handedly, and spent today getting a D&C 6-point roll cage welded into my 800B -- will be awesome once I get up with Damian and get the correct length windshield bar; it really has nice lines.
Anyway, yep, check my web page, on trucks I used to own, for pics of the two Travelall Airporters I used to own. One moved on its own power, barely, after a swap, before moving on to its new owner, who has stored it in the hopes of restoring "in a few years." The other, well, what a story. I bought it sight unseen by phone, flew in to Iowa where our man in Battle Creek, Ed S, met me and took me to the rig. What a sight. As if a Travelall with 10 doors wasn't enough, this thing had a brush guard, steer horns, and "Jump On The Bush Bandwagon" painted down the side. The 392/4bbl backed up the attitude! 28-feet of IH rolling along at 70mph must have been a sight.
Many of the Iowans on the list reached out to help me on that trip, and I count them as friends despite knowing them all of two days one summer. Good people, Iowans, IHers, and those drawn to Airporters.
I used that one in my summer camps, tie for best moment: looking in the rear view mirror and seeing 5 arms out the windows; climbing in, and hearing, "thud.Thud.THUD.thud.thuD.....; seeing 18 teenagers race past the cushy, air-conditioned rental vans to fight for the "party seats" in the rear of the hot, noisy Airporter.
I am, of course, sorry I sold that, but glad that it will be restored by a gentleman in Kansas.
If you can find one, whether it's the one for sale for so long in Oklahoma, the dually in San Diego, or the gorgeous restored one used by a bike shop in Oregon, BUY IT. You will not regret it.
Anyway, that's a start, let me know if I can share anything more with you.
Best,
Joel

--
Joel Furtek