brake questions

allrighty, the time has come to look a little closer at the brakes on the
rear of my 1110 TravelAll.  remember, this is the one with the 1200/1210
running gear.  8 lug wheels, big 3"x12" drums all the way around.

i've already examined the front brakes, they are indeed 3"x12", no problem
there.  drums and shoes are all in good shape up front.  getting some noise
from the rear drums, unsure which side was making the noise, it's
intermittent, sounds like either metal to metal or perhaps glazed.  took the
left rear off, and this side isn't making the noise i don't think, it's got
good though worn shoes and a really excellent drum.  but i found something
i'm not sure how to deal with.  the inside measurement of the drum is 3.25"
for the entire flat braking surface...  but the shoes it's mounted with are
only 2.5" wide.  now i'm a little nonplussed.  what do i do?  do i just get
another set of 2.5" shoes, or should i go with the correct 3" shoes?  there
isn't a LOT of wear inside the drum from the 2.5" shoes, hardly any wear at
all, actually, this left side drum is in GREAT shape, but there's definitely
a clean track of 2.5" wide with dirt and rust on the rest of the braking
surface, 1/2" inner and 1/4" outer.

i didn't think you could put smaller shoes on these things.  i guess i was
wrong there.  what's the best move forward for me from here?

thanks again for your help, guys.
--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde