74/75 truck headers

http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/gallery/album02?page=5

As part of my 392 project for my Travelette, I bought some of the
industrial chromed headers from Stan's for a 1974/75 IH truck/T'all.

I also bought new RPT motor mounts.

Last night we finally got to where we could stuff the 392 in, and we did.

It went kicking and screaming. :D

After putting the engine into place, I tried to test fit the headers.

Two problems plague me.

The first, is I don't have the correct 74/5 bellhousing x-member in place,
I have an older bellhousing motor mount crossmember, which is a little
thicker/taller in places.

The driver's side header won't fit between the x-member and the motor
mount to go up and into place.

I could cut & weld the x-member, or remove it for the correct part and the
tailhousing tranny mount (I scrapped a truck and have the right parts
now).

On the passenger side, the header goes right up into place with no
problem.. but it needs rotated a bit to get the flange to sit flush
against the head, and there's a firewall/floorboard in the way.

It clears the x-member n' such fine, but it's hitting the body.

I suppose a body lift wouldn't hurt, or Plan B - a BFH and a punch and
clearance the cab a little.

I don't think I'll be doing anything about it for the time being - I think
the rear dump manifolds are going back into the truck and I'll splice the
exhaust we just sawzalled apart last night back together, so I stand a
chance of putting some miles on this mill before we leave next week for
RMIHR.

Just thought I'd share my grief, and see if anyone else has had the
cab-clearance problem I'm experiencing.

The headers sure LOOK good on the motor, on the stand.. but they'd look
even better in my engine bay. :)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'74 200 Travelette, returned to a 392 (though far from stock) powerplant,
hopefully making good noises after work tonight..