More about the dropped pitman arm controversy...

Binders,
I've heard on repeated occasions, people tell me that
if the dropped pitman arm was the full 9.5" in length,
that it would hit the springs.  Hmmm.  I've got 4
lifted Scout II/Travelers outside and looking at them,
I can't see how this would happen.  See, when going to
lifted springs, it is a REQUIREMENT that one also
install longer shackles, to accept the spring
flattening being a longer length.  If this is not
done, then the excursion of the spring, will max out
the length of the shackle and stress the spring
mounts, and this is why (as I can tally of the 15 or
so breaks I've seen) most of the mounts fatigue and
become separated from the frame.

So, with the shackles and the springs, I have about 8"
before the pitman arm would hit the springs, thus I
can go 4" without impinging a thing.  So, please
clarify for me, if I'm missing the issue?

Thanks!

JoelB