Re: Bump Steer, Steering Components, Hemi-Joints

MessageJeff,

I believe I came in on this thread late.  Please fully describe the symptoms
for me again.

A classic case of bump steer in a Scout has the vehicle steering right when
the right wheel moves above its rest position with respect to the body and
left when the right wheel moves below its rest position with respect to the
body.  This is if the right end of your drag link is lower in elevation than
the left end of the drag link when the vehicle is at rest.  The behavior will
be reversed if the right end of the drag link is higher than the left end when
the vehicle is at rest.

Worst I've ever driven is a stock Chebby Citation (or clone).  Going south on
I-25 on the south side of Denver back in the earlly 80s there was a dip where
the southbound lanes circled to the west around some obstacle.  As the lane
moved back east there was a big dip, many vehicles long so you only noticed it
going fast.  That Chebby would suddenly move half a lane.  It would give you a
laundry kill during rush hour.  I think that may have been the best feature of
the Citation.

Steve