Jeff Bade and his joints

In spite of 'what I meant to say', It never ceases to astound me how things
come out sounding differently that I imagine.  *did I REALLY say that out
loud?* - type of thing...

Anyway, my plan was only to determine what I *want* for a pitman arm.  I'm
not terribly concerned about the whole temper issue, as long as I get a
part on there that I can pattern and possibly machine at a later date.
There is a guy in our local club, that works at a machine shop and so far,
has been able to pattern and make almost anything your heart desires.  So,
My goal is to be able to provide him with the dimensions *I* want and get a
pitman arm that does what *I* want.

So, Greg H, Jim A, Hofs, others, what's the story on heating and bending
the pitman arm that come with a Scout II?  Could I eventually cut both ends
off and make my own section in between?

BTW, TRE, I fail to see how a 4" drop pitman arm, would +increase your
draglink angle.  The goal is to have the draglink level, left to right, at
neutral suspension/ride height.

JoelB

---The stock pitman arm is cast steel isn't it? Would it be wise to heat it

and ruin the temper? Even from entry level metals shop I understand that
attempting to re-temper metal is about useless. Once it has been tempered,
you weaken the molecular structure by heating it again. I suppose if you
heated the entire piece to a temperature hotter than the original
temperature used to harden the steel, you might get away with it but...