Re: Jaff Bade and his joints

---The 4" dropped pitman arm I received from Skyjacker was actually a pitman
arm for a Ford Bronco. I checked the part number before I sent it back for
reimbursement (the 4" lift didn't need the drop anyway). I notice less
instability in the steering with the new springs, rebuilt gear box, new
bushings and the straight steer. Replacing the steering u-joint will be the
biggest improvement. The pitman arm didn't fit and wouldn't have made much
difference on the Scout II anyway. Like you said, "it was shorter" which
seemed to make the drop obsolete. I think the reasoning behind this was the
drag link to leaf spring relationship. I had to flip my drag link over so
the bend in the center didn't hit the spring when I turned the wheel. The
shorter pitman arm would have increased the angle of the drag link and
brought driver's side of the drag link back slightly... two to three inches
back IIRC. It would have pulled the drag link away from the leaf spring 1/2"
or so and the angle would still not have been much different than I have
now.

---The stock pitman arm is cast steel isn't it? Would it be wise to heat it
and ruin the temper? Even from entry level metals shop I understand that
attempting to re-temper metal is about useless. Once it has been tempered,
you weaken the molecular structure by heating it again. I suppose if you
heated the entire piece to a temperature hotter than the original
temperature used to harden the steel, you might get away with it but...

---If I had the foundry, I would rather heat, beat and fold a piece of steel
200 times, bend the needed angles and bore the holes for the drag link and
output shaft. Having the bores splined is a different story and the price
seems to very with the neighborhood, but regardless, I wouldn't heat the
metal and re-bend it if it were a steering component. Maybe a shock mount or
something but not something that will end all chances of steering if it
breaks.

---Need I remind you of my steering coupler (rag-joint) tearing completely
in half and the wheel spinning freely? Not that I doubt your abilities, I
just remember how tempering steel goes... and how it feels to have NO*
control of steering.

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)