RE: To sleep, perchance to DREAM?

## >> Found this on eBay:
## >>
## >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=
## >> 2421260452
## >>
## >> Neat truck; for some reason I really want it, but my wife says no.
## >> (With great emphasis, I might add.) Too bad, as it would make a great
## >> addition to my IH family!
## >>
## >> Anyhow, I'm looking at the winch on the front and thinking "that
## >> really needs to  be on a 4x4." Then, having far too much free time on
## >> my hands, I got to thinking: "Would it be possible to turn that into
## >> a 4x4?" Talk about a Unimog-killer!
## >>
## >> So, any ideas? Is it possible?

yup.  it's not only possible, but it's been done.  i've seen pictures of
these as all-wheel-drive in the Crismon book, but more importantly, back
when we still lived in the mountains of California, i saw a few in person,
working for the mountain fire & rescue, as well as the department of
forestry.  nearly all of the mountain area fire and forestry equipment is
IH-based, and much if it is all-wheel-drive, though very very few of the
all-wheel-drives are cabovers.  apparently 4x4 IH cabover models are quite a
rare beast and not IH-factory (at least not in the time period of this
model), but an aftermarket conversion, done at the time of the installation
of the fire bodies and/or other equipment.  i understand it was a somewhat
popular conversion for oilfield trucks too.

i don't know exactly where you'd come up with the transfer case and front
driving axle for one of these except to gut them from one that's been
scrapped or had the body totalled...  maybe pick up some newer units from a
newer all-wheel-drive truck of that size?

by the way, my Bride said no too.  something about insertion of her HEMTT
M983 (that's a missile launcher truck) in anatomically unlikely and
unpleasant locations if i tried.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde