Re: Trailer tongue weight scale

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Joel M Brodsky wrote:

> John H, Joel F, et al.,
> I checked on that trailer tongue weight scale, and it's $107.  Not bad at
> all.  So, do you load the trailer up while the trailer is connected to the
> vehicle, then after it's all loaded and hooked up, put the scale under the
> tongue jack, and jack the ball off the hitch and see what the scale reads,
> then too much/too little, reconnect the ball, then adjust the load, then
> retry?

FWIW - I've towed 20' plus boats, 20' plus cars, etc, on trailers.

Based upon experience, I use a simple criteria - have a friend take a tape
measure and tell you when the load was far enough forward to lower the
trailer tongue (when hitched to the tow vehicle) at the hitch 3" - 6".

It's a (1) "well this vehicle/boat is heavy/has a rat motor in the rear
V-drive" or is a (2) "light load."

If it was a light load 3"-4", heavy load 5"-6."

Once every thing was strapped down, I'd do a highway run to check the
setup prior to taking any long trip.

Proper tire inflation is *very* important for both tow vehicle and towed
vehicle.

And for god's sake - make sure your trailer ball hitch is fastened.  I
once towed a broad beamed heavy fiberglass inboard (but no rat motor) 22'
boat (which had just been sold) through hilly Georgia terain (Lake
Sinclair to Macon, GA) at highway speeds with just the tongue weight
holding the tow vehicle and the trailer together (yes I had safety
chains).

I guess I had the proper tongue weight. <g>

So now when towing, I do a short run, then stop and check; the hitch, tire
temperature (it's a comparison thing - use the back of your hand), wheel
bearing temperature, load fastenings, etc.

And check again at each [gas] stop.

ymmv

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided