RE: ON-Demand Turbo

> I would argue that turbos could be set up to provide power "on demand"
> quite
> easily by using an adjustable waste gate.  Turbos make power by using

I haven't taken the time to REALLY delve into it, but I have an
"economical" car in my fleet these days.  A 1985 Chrysler Laser, with a
2.2L type-1 Turbo, 5spd.  Small hatchback coupe, that you can put 4 people
in, but you should keep your self to two.

It has a computer controlled wastegate (that's been modified), and a
factory boost-gauge and other goodies.

Bottom end is pathetic.  If I turn on the AC, I have to remind myself
before pulling away from a stopsign or I'll kill it.

Once you're going, though, it's much better.  It'll accelerate at decent
rate if you apply a little throttle.

But the real fun comes when you "turn on" the Turbo - get a few Rs into
it, then open the throttle all the way, and watch the boost gauge go from
"vacuum" to the "boost" side.  You can tell when the Turbo "comes on"..
even more so, you can tell when the computer shuts you down when you hit
14psi - it's pretty harsh about that.

(IIRC, it's a safety feature, since much past 14psi I think it starts
pushing the fuel back into the tank..)

It's a fun car.  It'll do 95mph up our north pass in 5th, and I've caught
myself at around 120mph just off the onramp a few times, too.. but it'll
still get 25-30mpg with the AC on.

A twin-turbo'd 392 sure sounds sexy for my Travelette.. but I'm sticking
with an NA monster for the time being.. and it's about to get assembled.
:D

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/postnuke
'77 SII "Tigger" built 345/wideT19/36" TSLs
'77 SII "Little Devil" Built 304C/727, 31x15.50s
'72 1110 T'all - "Big Ugly Green Machine"
'74 200 Travelette long-box - getting a built 392/406 this month
'85 Laser - untouched (for now)