Re: Dana 18 VS. Dana 20.

At 1:48 PM 6/18/03, Joel M Brodsky wrote:
>Binders, please riddle me this:
>Is a Dana 18 any stronger than a Dana 20?

Weaker.

>Dana 18s were all twin stick and Dana 20s were Single stick, right?

No, some Scout 800's had twin stick Dana 20's.

>Is a Dana 18 really just a Dana 20 with a twin stick?

NO!!! A Dana 18 has the rear output offset same as the front output.

>Same shift pattern for a single stick on a Dana 18 as with a Dana 20?

No single stick 18's, so n/a.

>Is the bolt pattern mounting the same for Dana 18 as for Dana 20?

yes, but the pilot diameter is smaller for the 18.

>Basically, can I put a Dana 18 in directly where there was Dana 20?

NOPE !! not only do you have the pilot diameter issue, but also
driveshaft/rear pumpkin offset issues to deal with.

Greg