Re: Engine questions

Hello Dave,

I don't think you could possibly have a carbon buildup after only 2K on a
fresh engine. Your dismal mileage is a clue something is not right. First
check the plugs as John suggested. You should be running the Autolite 85's, if
not you're running the 303's the part's monkeys will usually give you.

As you tune this engine, anything that increases your idle speed and allows
you to reduce the throttle opening at idle will help your situation. Timing is
the next thing to check. I'd start with about 7 deg advance to begin with. I'd
guess that your timing is retarded and as you advance it your idle speed will
increase.

Next check your idle mixtures, do you know how to set them? Another problem
could be a vacuum leak. Does this engine have an EGR valve?

Good luck