Re: Engine questions

James Lidberg wrote:

> David,
>
> My '79 345 dieseled, until I fixed the lean mixture problems: leaking
intake, bad carb, loose EGR valve making a nasty
> vacuum leak, timing, idle speed high to make up for the lean mixture
etc.

> What's your vacuum reading? I am now pulling about 17 inches even with
all the emissions hooked up.

I don't have a vacuum gauge.  I can pretty much assure you that my
emissions equipment isn't a problem.  We don't have
testing in this state....But checking the system out looking for a leak
somewhere wouldn't be a bad idea, in any event.

> I had reported earlier it was almost 20 inched but that gauge was bad.

> How is your engine temperature? Lean wiull be hot.

Engine temperature is good.  The temp gauge doesn't have numbers on it,
but I don't think it ever goes left of the center
mark.  I've got a heavy duty radiator combined with an auxiliary engine
oil cooler to keep it relatively cool.

The ex-mechanic who diagnosed it on Friday told me to use some choke
cleaner and lower the idle.  The carb was just
rebuilt, so I'm not too worried about it needing cleaningm, but I do
that in the morning.  I already reduced the idle a
little bit.  We'll see how it goes.

I also was advised (by another ex-mechanic) to check the timing.  I'll
have to listen for engine knock and the like, I
imagine.

Thanks,

Dave

> - Jim
>
> Date sent:              Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:26:48 -0400
> From:                   David Bongo <dbongo@domain.elided>
> To:                     IHC Digest <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
> Subject:                Engine questions
> Send reply to:          David Bongo <dbongo@domain.elided>
>
> > The engine is dieseling.

> Jim In Mesa - James Lidberg
> jameslidberg@domain.elided
> '79 Scout II/4X4/345/Edelbrock 1400/727/D20/3.07
open/PS/PB/4"Trailmaster