Starter heat shields

Mac,
  I'm sure you could get an IHC original heat shield from on of the digest
sponsors.
But if you do that or not, install SOMETHING in there to protect the starter
and
solenoid.  The stocker unit is a decent guage of sheetmetal, I'd say 18 or
16.
If you don't have anything that thick, you could cut both ends off a coffee
can
flatten it, then use some tin snips, pliers and a drill to create something.
I don't know how long the thin steel of a coffee can will withstand the heat,
but
I'd rather replace that than a starter.  Heck of a lot cheaper too.

If you need a photo of a stock unit, I'm sure someone here can help out.
I would, but I'm leaving soon to visit my folks in Utah.  Taking my
father-in-law's conversion van.  If anyone spots a green Chevy van,
on I-84 with NASCAR stickers all over the back, be sure to wave.

Regarding reflective paint, places like Eastwood have something called
cerama-cote (or something like that) that is designed for coating exhaust
manifolds.  If you painted one with this stuff though, you would not
want to flex it.  Once dried the stuff is like ceramic: brittle.

Have fun in Disneyland.  I highly recommend the BBQ meal if the place
between Frontierland and Fantasyland is open still.  It was along the
walkway that goes back behind Big Thunder Mt RR.

Allan Weidenheimer