Re: Mac's Starter (and post to mark "re: parts")

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac @ TRIAD" <mac@domain.elided>

<snip>
> heat shield?  <blank look>  what heat shield?  *none* of my trucks has a
> heat shield on the starter, and none of them had one when i got 'em.  a
> heat
> shield over the starter sounds like one heck of a good idea to me, so
> where
> do i get these puppies?  i'll be needing three.

---As said in other replies I haven't gotten to yet (I am finally catching
up on mail), the heat shield is as simple as a GM heat shield for a `90
model pickup (a single piece of steel), or it can be more complex (but still
simple to fabricate) due to the shield looking like half of the number "8",
so it wraps around the solenoid and the starter. Then there are the cloth
heat shields, which I have never used and don't care for, but might work
well.

---Heat shields can be bought from performance shops like Summit. I paid $35
for one that is two pieces of sheet metal with a heat dissipating fabric
sandwiched between them. They all basically mount the same way (mine is
mounted with one starter end plate bolt [the two long bolts that run through
the starter body] and one of the solenoid mounting bolts). I would
definitely fork out $10-15.oo for a (single piece of sheet metal) heat
shield that has iH stamped on it. Even if I couldn't see it, I would know it
was there. :D

<snip>
> i think there's a powdercoat process that *should* hold up to the heat.

---Powdercoating is done in different temperatures. There is a company that
is called Heat-Coat that carries powder for High temp applications. I think
Eaton carries their name. They have small ovens for doing things like
headers, intake manifolds, and such. The large ovens for frames and truck
bodies would be about $5K :O

<snip>
> additionally, T.R.E.jr. mentioned a spacer for the starter on automatics
> in
> IH trucks...  mine doesn't have that spacer either.  should there be one?
> if it should have one, where do i get it?  my 1010 didn't have a spacer on
> it when i got it, so i had no idea about such a thing.  this is only my
> second IH auto-equipped truck, i've got a lot to learn yet.

---Someone can mic the spacer out for you, rather than take it to a tape
measure, but from the tape measure, my spacer is 1/8". I will see if I have
a spare, but I don't recall having one. Have to go out and inventory those
parts yet.

<post to Mark re: parts>
---BTW, Mark, I believe I will check on the motor mounts and window
regulator. I know the window regulators are not in great* shape, but which
side is it you need and I will see what I do have, regardless, they all work
and I won't send you anything that would be better off scrapped, the one
that I know of that is on it's last limb I am going to attempt to make into
a power window regulator. What is wrong with your again? Just sticking or
stripped?

<snip>
> ## >> Have fun at Disneyland.
>
> thank you again, Allan.
>
> --Mac

---Deffinately, I haven't been there since Epcot Center was completed. Have
a great time and have some fun for me too. FYI, when I was 13, Space
Mountain threw me out of my seat and the seat belt slipped down to my knees.
I tightened my legs and held the seat belt above my knees. That was on the
third hill, the first drop, and I was not able to get a good enough hold to
get back into the seat until the ride was half over! Needless to say, there
is not a roller coaster that will scare me yet and I have been on some of
the biggest, fastest and most tricked out.

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)