Re: Mac's Starter

On Sunday, June 15, 2003, at 06:51  AM, Allan Ericson wrote:

The shape is actually more of a U than a J, although the part that has
the
bracket that bolts to the manifold is significantly shorter. Both of
these
shields wrap around the top, front, and bottom of the starter. The
bottom of
the U covers the electric terminals, and the shield extends most of
the way
back along the starter on the (upper) exhaust manifold side, and
farther
back on the (lower) exhaust pipe side. Each has only one bracket, which
bolts to the second exhaust manifold bolt near the number 6 cylinder.

Well, I just went out an looked at mine again, and were talking about
apples and oranges when it comes to our different applications. Your J
description pretty well fits my heat shield, it covers only the top of
the starter and solenoid, and bolts on with two bolts. The starter is
very close to the header pipe going rearward, and there has to be a lot
of heat transfer there, but the heat shield I have only protects the
top of the starter.

You may remember that when I put the Stans Headers on, I had to get a
different head for the MG starter because of the proximity to the
header pipe. Stan built his headers to clear the Delco by a little, but
not the MG.

I tried to solve a similar problem in a different vehicle one time by
wrapping asbestos around the hot exhaust pipe. Yeah, that worked!  The
pipe under the asbestos lasted about a week.

John Hofstetter