Re: Wire welder

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 11:27 PM
Subject: Wire welder

> At times, various members of the digest have sought and received advice
> on wire welders with, or without, gas capability. Ive read the
>
> I ended up buying a Lincoln welder with gas capability from
> Weldingmart.com.  It is refurbished and carries a 3 year parts and
> labor warranty from Lincoln. It was $370 which is $200 off the price of
> a new one.
>
> I was looking for a 115 volt welder with Aluminum welding capability,
> one that I could move around for odd jobs. Ive never used a wire
> welder and I think Ill have to fly Jim Aos down to teach me how.  My
> 220 volt stick welder that is at least 40 years old isnt portable. It
> is so non-portable that the wheels have rotted off of it.

John, It has been my experience that the 240 volt will produce a more
controlled arc, than the 115.  Also the best way to wire weld aluminum is
with a spool gun setup.  It pushes the flexible aluminum it a straight line
for about a foot.  The other type is trying to push much farther and usually
in curves that cause for increased resistance.  I have had success with
aluminum stick electrodes,  and gas welding with either the flux inside the
rod, (like solder) or added in the form of powder.

I would enjoy coming down to help with some welding things.  All I need is a
good time when I leave my commitments here.  We could visit about welding
and you could teach me about proper grammer, (not Jim).
Cheers Jim A.