Re: Engine questions

On Saturday, June 14, 2003, at 06:26  PM, David Bongo wrote:

The engine is dieseling.  A former mechanic at work told me that's what
it was, and how to remedy it.  I didn't get a chance to write it down
so
I figured I'd check with you guys before doing anything.  As I recall,
he said to get some choke cleaner and spray it on the choke.  But he
may
have mentioned something else that I forgot as we got sidetracked by
other things, then I had to go make a high-pressure, time critical, but
ultimately pointless 20 mile trip to the next town.  But I digress.
What do I need to do to fix the dieseling problem?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I dont pretend to have all the answers in regard to your dieseling,
but .....

The dieseling, at least in my experience, is caused by carbon in the
cylinder that stays red hot and sets off the next explosion as soon as
compression is built up in that cylinder. A tank of higher octane gas
will sometimes help. A cup of ATF down the carb can help get rid of the
carbon in the cylinder. Sometimes putting in new and correct plugs will
help. Autolite 85s are the ones I use, thanks to the digest gurus.

John Hofstetter