Re: The Solution & Another Exhausting Problem: (Was: Re: When It Rains, It's Dead!)

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 01:48  PM, Colin Gebhart wrote:

Hi,

Sounds reasonable, but I would not use expanding foam.  It is very
absorbent, not self healing when fractured by movement and not that
heat tolerant.  I would use some kind of underbody coat or windshield
sealant or possibly just good old silicone.

Good luck, Colin.

Colin,

I dont doubt what you say, but arent the negative characteristics
that you describe the characteristic of only the foam that stays soft
and semi-mushy?  When shower refinishers work on a fiberglass shower
they drill about 4 holes in the bottom of the shower and fill the
underside of the stall with foam that becomes very hard. It supports
the bottom of the shower, stopping any flexing and can be worked down
with tools so that the finish covers it up to the extent that the
filled holes are identical to the rest of the shower bottom.

It seems to me as if this kind of foam would be ideal for Petes empty
space. No, Im not talking about between your ears, Pete. <g>

John Hofstetter