Neutral Safety Switch

Okay-

Queried this yesterday and got no response, but have heard it talked
about enough that I know someone has an answer.

Anybody have ANY information on the neutral safety switch?  Where it
is?  What model number is needed?  How to most efficiently install it?

This is for a '74 392 in a 100 series Wagonmaster with AT (of course).
I have found something that looks similar to the replacement one I got,
but definitely does NOT look like the same.  What I am looking at is
just above the "drain pan" on the Tranny on the driver's side.

My symptoms are thus:  Truck seems to be starting almost all of the time
when cool.  When hot, it seems to not be starting.  Upon turning the key
I get nothing.  No turn over of the starter, just shows a draw on the
amp guage and the "BRAKE" light comes on.  I had originally thought Gold
Box, but everyone said it didn't sound like it.  Then, I ordered the
neutral safety switch, but noticed that it was not always holding in
"Park" when I went to park it.  After fixing this linkage adjustment
problem, it didn't start on the first time, but started every time after
that-for about twenty starts.  Now it won't start when hot again.  I
have done tests and it is getting juice through the firewall bulkhead
connector.  I have a "jump" wire rigged up from the "S" terminal of the
battery to the (+) terminal of the battery that will start it every
time.  Before when I couldn't get it started, about half the time I
could tug the shift lever towards the "P" side of the column, and it
would turn over.  The other half of the time, even this wouldn't help.

Even if this does not sound like the neutral safety switch, I would
appreciate if someone knows the part number if they could tell me.  As I
said before, the one I got does not look like the one in there.  I would
like to get the right one in case I need it.

Thanks a lot!

Michael