Re: CV joint and autos on a SOA

John Fleck wrote:

> Somebody said it cant be done. That is using a cv joint with an automatic
> 727 trans in a Scout 2 with a spring over. I will have to disagree since I
> have a good friend who has one installed and it works great. We went and
> tested his new 33-10.50 15 swampers today and I crawlecd under to look at
> it and sure enoug it was a cv joint alright.

OK John... WHAT'S THE PART NUMBER/APPLICATION??

I've seen ONE CV with 727.. and that's on Erick Foor's "Spare Parts"..
4" lift springs wiht a spring-over.. he has SOOO much lift, the CV is
pulled down at a severe angle, and he was able to just clearance the 727
pan slightly and make it fit.. but I'm sure if those 38s would stuff up
inside the wheel well, it might not work so well.

So what's the part number/application for this style of CV?

> who is anticipating getting his 2wd Postal Scout to built a SOA/Reverse
> shackle/buggy spring front and a 3/4 eliptical SO on the rear with 35 inch
> tires and Dana 60s. Can you say feature rig in a mag for the future?

Hey John... buggy spring & 3/4 eliptical = same y'know. ;-)  They're
both "3/4 eliptical".. it's also been referred to as "goofy leaf" by
Shannon Campbell.

Better throw double shackles (front and rear of the main springs) and a
4-link into the mix..

I think with a 4-link, you could probably run 3/4 eliptical setups all
around without any of the negative handling quirks I've heard of.. sure,
body roll would still be there, but it wouldn't be any different than
using a REALLY long and soft semi-eliptical leaf spring.

Pre-runner list talks about 18" travel leaf springs all the time.. very
long, low spring rate, and about 16" of arch.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'76/77/78 Scout II - 5" spring-over lift, stripped down race prepped,
full cage, seat and 5pts tied into 'cage, full width front and rear Dana
44s, custom cross-over steering, 4.88s, 304, built 727 (hopefully it'll
work now), stock driveshafts (from different Scouts)... plans might call
for RS front, 3/4 eliptical rear w/ 4-link.. but we'll see.  the 34"
extended front shock should be here tonight..