Still starting problems

Okay, Experts:

I reset the linkage on my '74 Wagonmaster (392, AT) today, as explained
in Chilton's.  I was hoping once this was lined up, the starting
problems would go away.  Well, immediately after fixing this, it
wouldn't start.  I used my trusty "jumper wire" that I have rigged from
the starter to the battery to bypass all of the screwy starter crud!

Anyway, it has gotten to the point where I would say that fifty percent
of the time that I start it using this "cheater" wire.  This has gotten
annoying!  So anyway, what do I check next?  I have changed the ignition
switch, the selenoid, checked the power just AFTER the bulkhead
connector and it is lighting up my test light.  I have now reset my
tranny linkage, as this was going a little bad (sometimes when it
wouldn't start I could pull the shift lever far towards "P" and it would
start.).  We were hoping this would correct it.  Nada.  Another point is
that it will usually start when cold, but once I have driven it and shut
it off it won't.  Sometimes when cold it won't, but I would say it does
about eighty percent of the time.  And sometimes it will when hot-but I
would say about twenty percent of the time.  It will always start when
jumped from the starter "S" terminal to the (+) terminal of the body.
Even when it won't start, I get power to both of the large blue wires
that come through the firewall bulkhead connector-one of which I have
been led to believe would be the problem.  I have purchased a neutral
safety switch, but it does not look like the switch that is in there
currently.  I have what the CHILTON'S calls a T-407 AT.  I assumed this
was the 727, but I'm sure someone will tell me if not.  It has a solid
Tranny and Bell housing together, instead of a tranny with an aluminum
bell housing is how the book describes.  The Neutral safety switch I
have is a NIEHOFF part number AL133P (I think) also says GEN: NS36091,
SMP: NS-11 on the top.  Anyway, is this the right part?  Anyone know?
The difference that concerns me is that the one currently on there has a
connection that I cannot really see, but doesn't look like it will
accept the three prong end of the new one I have.

Also, is this mounted on the driver's side of the tranny, JUST above the
rim of the tranny pan?  And if so, WHY??????  There is no way to get at
this from underneath, and I don't hink I should have to yank up the
floor mats, the carpet, and see if there is a big enough opening from
above to get to it!!!  Any advice/suggestion?

Thanks very much!

Michael