tranny problem

ok today i was on my way back from my friends house and i let the car warm up
some then tried to pull it back to drive (its an auto) and it wouldn't go
anywhere, then i finnally got it back to where neutral would be but it didn't
do anything not even roll. then i got it back farther to where it is reverse
which is now where drive used to be, neutral is now where drive 1 was, and
drvie is wehre drive 2 was. does anybody know what is wrong with it? i am
totally clueless, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
    Matt Cason