Re: What's the rubber thing for?

Steve:

I have the same problem.  I think they shot-peen the whole unit and that
leaves a rounded, rough surface on the mating edge of the top of the M/C
that the gasket can't keep sealed.

Landry showed me the solution at NWBRU last year.  Before he installs a
rebuilt M/C he turns it over on a flat surface with sandpaper, and works it
back and forth until he has a flat, level top surface again.  Then he cleans
it up real good and bleeds and installs.  His M/C wasn't leaking at all.

Hey, somebody forward this memo to an M/C rebuild place so they get the
idea!

Tom H.