Heat shielding

Hi all,
  Now that summer's here, my engine compartment is getting a bit toasty
from the radiant engine heat.  The firewall and floorboard where the
engine is closest to the body gets much too warm to comfortably place a
bare foot on them after driving during a hot day.  I know there are
exhaust manifold wrap 'tape' and also heat sheild I can put the firewall,
but I've only seen them from mailorder places.  Has anyone conquered this
problem with local parts store items?  Is there a less expensive way to go
about shielding the heat?
Thanks,
Myron
C. Myron Ware   Senior Prog/Analyst, CNE |  NASA Langley Research Center
Email c.m.ware@domain.elided             |  Hampton, Va   23681
http://cnb-www.larc.nasa.gov/~ware/cmw-home.html  (work) or
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/1370  (non-work)

Word for the day:  Communist (n): one who has given up all
  hope of becoming a Capitalist.