Hotwiring a Goldbox

OK, I wanted to get the motor to run so I could see if the trans was
going to leak.

Changed out the starter.

Plugged the factory wires in, and turned the key in the ignition - I just
had the key made today.  It fit, but the tumbler just spins.. no
resistance at all.  And no clicks.

So I screw-driver the starter and it engages and the motor cranks over. Cool!

Grab a jumper wire from the battery to the + side of the coil.. no start.

Goldbox is just lying on the motor.. so I kind of stuck it onto an
exposed bolt on the firewall.  No start.

Get my cute little spark tester, and break the spring-clip off, so I lay
the outside on the frame to ground it, no spark.  No coughs, no spark.

<scratching head>

I unplugged the bulkhead - no change.  Plugged it back in, still no good.
Unplugged the non-working column, no help.

What are the bare minimum wires I need to have a Goldbox ignition
running?  Looks like it's toggle switch time if I can get a spark out of
it at all..

ARGH. ;-)

Oh well, time to put the front axle in.. if i have to tow it to Bozeman
and we cannibalize my Scout for the distributor n' such when i get there,
so be it. ;-)

-Tom