Re: Yank's starter problem

>Guys:
>
>I've had my starter not turn, but the ammeter pegged at discharge when I
>turned the key.  This indicated that the starter relay was drawing current,
>but not engaging the starter so that it would turn.  I think this is common
>IH problem.  When the ammeter shows no discharge and nothing happens when I
>turn the key, the neutral safety switch is not allowing current to the
>starter relay.
>
>Tom H.

What you are describing is a solenoid problem--the juice for the starter
itself does not go thru the ammeter---

Both solenoid coils--both the pull-in and the hold-in coil are pulling
surrent, but the solenoid is not pulling the Bendix into the ring gear or
closing the contact to put the juice to the starter windings when this
happens.

The pull winding takes about a full scale ammeter reading, the hold one
takes about 1/2 scale--to peg the ammeter definitively takes at least BOTH
solenoid windings--or a mebbe more likely a short in the solenoid. New
solenoid is about $22. Might wanna get new brushes and/or bendix, check
bushings while you are there with the starter out.

Greg